Saturday, October 01, 2005

Attention! Andersons over 50:oscopy

Friday I had my first ever colonoscopy. Several years ago I had a procedure called a flexible sigmoidoscopy which also examines the colon. It was verrrrrrry ! uncomfortable. When I had a physical in August my doctor suggested it was time for a colonoscopy. I was not thrilled but took the information with the thought that I would do it whenever it was convenient. However my doctor had contacted Minnesota Enterology who sent me a packet of information and then followed up with a phone call encouraging me to make my appointment. So I made my appointment for September 30 a day when there was no school for students and I wouldn't need a sub. I followed the prep procedures; low fiber diet Tuesday and Wednesday, liquid diet Thursday followed by a process for cleaning me out which I will not describe. Friday morning I arrived at the clinic at 8:45 accompanied by my lovely driver Nancy. The doctor and nurses were very nice to me and the procedure went off without a hitch. And there was very little discomfort. Best of all I got a clean bill of health and I won't need another one for ten years. Nancy and I celebrated by going out to Perkins for pancakes. Today I celebrated by eating lots of vegies and going on a 57 mile bike ride to Carver Park. So if you are an Anderson over 50 maybe you should have one too.

No comments: