Koko went to my parents' farm on Monday, as he gets groomed in Red Wing. My mother called yesterday and asked if I had time to listen for a while. She started out saying, "Koko is alive" (always an suspicious preamble). Turns out, after being brought home after his four-hour grooming appointment, Koko ate the mouse poison from under the refrigerator (my mother had told my dad to make sure he'd taken up the poison in anticipation of Koko's visit, but he left it there, assuming no dog could reach that far).
Anyway, my mom freaked out and called a vet after hours who turned out to be very nice. She told them to pour hydrogen peroxide down Koko's throat and wait 15 minutes for him to vomit (my parents first stripped so they wouldn't ruin their clothes!) He only retched a bit, so then they were instructed to get 2 tablespoons of salt down. He finally started throwing up all over the place, but my mother was still so upset that the vet opened her office and examined Koko, giving him four shots to absorb the poison. She reassured my parents and told them to get some sleep. All through this, poor Koko kept wagging his tail and looking around for something more to eat. They hadn't had time to clean up the vomit before they ran to the vet's, so when they came back, Koko went right to it and started eating again.
Wednesday, October 15, 2003
Swedes in Space (again!?) and China
Sven Grahn has been part of the Swedish space program since he was 16. He was project manager for the Lunar explorer I mentioned earlier. He's got lots of interesting stuff on his web pages - of current interest is here, his reports on the Chinese space program (Sweden has used Chinese rockets to put things in space - so Sven has been to their launch facilities).
Great pictures, Peter! Glad y'all had a good trip!
Posted by Joel at 8:35 AM