Sunday, December 14, 2003

tumor: part II

hello everyone. I hope that all is well. as some of you may be aware, I played in a tennis tournament this weekend at the U of M. on friday night I played m first match against tom litscher, but we wont talk about that one. I lost... so anyways, I played again on saturday morning against some kid named sam something or other. he's not really much to write home about and I have beaten him quite handily in the past. I was feeling fine, everything was going smoothly; I won the first game very easily and was surely coasting to a glorious victory when suddenly my neck tensed up really painfully. it was really weird. all of a sudden my neck was just hurting really bad. I couldnt rotate my shoulders on my forehand because that would require me to turn my neck in a fashion which now gave me great amounts of pain. I started playing badly but I was still able to pull out a win: 6-4, 6-3. it was probably one of the most painful physical endeavors of my entire life. I am not sure what it was on my neck, it could have been a tumor maybe not. ok so I won that match but I was still in a lot of pain. my parents got me a bunch of advil or something so I took that. they also got me some ice. I iced my neck and massaged it for the two or so hours I had until my next match. nick hansen was next on my agenda and it was a daunting task to say the least. when i went out to play this match I was a little bit anxious because I didnt know how Iwould feel but everything worked out pretty well. I didnt experience very much pain at all but still lost the first set 3-6. the second set was mine for the taking though as I won it 6-3. for the third and final set we played a super tie-breaker. that is, a regular tie-breaker, only you play to ten instead of 7. I lost it 10-12. it was very close, but I think, without my obvious handicap, I probably would have left victorious.

No comments: