Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Hey everybody, this is Tom- here's the update:

No job,
No girlfriend,
No money,

But I'm happy. So I've been working on a paper about Assyrian History and while I think it's pretty interesting, I'll only post my thesis paragraph just so you don't all think I'm just lazy and good for nothing. Also, if you know any cookie factories that are hiring, let me know and i'll send in my resume.

Assyria from Restoration to Fall: Military Might and the Atrophy of Culture

In the history of Assyria we perceive the emergence of this pattern: the values of dominance and power trump the values of culture and faith. The system required for the expansion and the maintenance of an empire by its very nature pushes a nation or people group away from the cultural values that may previously have given them identity and significance. Faith, religion and worship are likewise subjugated to the self-exultant system of empire and its expansion. As the system strengthens, the culture atrophies; and as the grip of power tightens, so stiffen the forces of resistance and division that lead to the destabilization of the empire.


Peace to all, Tom.

No comments: