Monday, August 23, 2004

On the lam in Bean-Town!

On Sunday we got back from our whirlwind tour of Boston - it was a good trip. In my case "good" means "not cooling my heels in a jail cell."

We took off in staggered order. Liv and Teresa had frequent-flyer tickets and left first, I followed on a different plane. Once they landed they jumped in a taxi and high tailed it to BU, as they had an appointment for a tour and visit. They traveled with carry-on luggage only. (Norris didn't come till the next day.)

Meanwhile, I arrived, collected my bag and threaded my way by bus and three subway lines to Harvard, to stop at Teresa's cousin Emmie's place. I had (barely adequete) directions to the place, and less than adequete instructions on where to find the key and no instructions on how to get in. (We'd been there once, about 8 years ago.)

"Keys in 2x4 cubby hole on back porch".

This lead to wandering back of the place (a brownstone-ish apartment-become-condo's near Harvard.) I spotted the porch. The porch had no access (up a level, no entrance, no stairs). I wandered around some more and found no access to the porch. Finally I realized the porch had a small notch (a cub hole?) formed where two 2x4's intersected. Found a baggy with keys by reaching up and feeling around in it.

Got in the front door and discovered that knowing I was looking for "unit 1B" didn't help; there were no labels.

"Ah - the porch was on the left side. HERE is a door on the left side! I'll try that!"

After trying every key (including the car key) I fumbled around some more, until a white-haired man brandishing a cane popped out of a side door.

"Why are you trying to break into my apartment!?!?! I'm calling the police!"

I stammered out an explanation, tried to offer my ID, only to have him reply "I'm calling the police!" and then disappear again.

I left a panicky cell phone message for Teresa and Liv (I had Teresa's phone) then called one of Emmie's friends, who explained carefully how to thread my way back to the right door (go right, then left down a hall, then left again then right then left).

THEY (Teresa and Liv) claim I was jumpy and on the alert for the fuzz the rest of the trip... but I think I was perfectly cool.



No comments: