Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Working for the UN

Hi all:

I've been corresponding with my friends at WHO about doing more work for them. Except for my June travel expenses, I have not been reimbursed for anything I've done yet, however (about $1,500). I have submitted two invoices under my APW ("Agreement for Payment of Work") contract, but have yet to get a check. Supposedly, the system is just very slow. SO, my friend Philippe asked if I'd like to go under a WAE ("When Actually Employed") contract. I said "sure," only to be engaged in many more vexations. After providing them with a CV, they requested detailed documentation on my qualifications as a website evaluation expert (which was hard, as I have none--they are the ones who made me one!) Then today I received an email with an attached "Medical Clearance Certificate" which requires me to undergo a complete "United Nations medical examination" (complete with chest x-rays, checks for "troubles nerveus ou mentaux," "sang dans les selles," and examination of "organes genitaux.") This is to verify that I could withstand possible work under "difficult field conditions in areas having many health risks."

I think I am going to offer to work pro bono.

No comments: